The permanent residence permit offers a number of advantages, in particular:
• Multiple crossing of the Polish border without the need to open a visa.
• Right to work in Poland without a work permit.
• Grounds for a legal stay of up to 10 years.
• Entering and staying in the Schengen countries.
• Acquisition of real estate in Poland without additional permits
• Acquisition of land in Poland without additional permits.
• Getting credit from Polish banks, including mortgages.
• Ability to apply in Poland for visas to non-Schengen countries.
• Possibility of doing business as a private entrepreneur (działalność gospodarcza).
• Free education in Polish institutions.
• The possibility of obtaining Polish citizenship.
If the application for a permanent residence permit (zezwolenie na pobyt stały) was submitted during the foreigner's legal stay and it contained no formal defects or formal defects were corrected in time, the voivode puts a stamp in the foreigner's travel document confirming the application. A foreigner's stay is considered legal from the moment of application until the date on which the decision to issue a permanent residence permit becomes final.
NOTE: A stamp in a travel document does not give a foreigner the right to travel in other Schengen countries, while a foreigner can go to the country of origin, but to return to Poland he or she must obtain a visa, if he or she comes from a country to which requirements apply.